Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Meet the Artist-Don Nord

Meet The Artist - Don Nord Wood Work



What do you want to share with others in your work?
      I want to share the aesthetic of the American Arts and Crafts movement, most notably     simplicity, detail, craftsmanship, usefulness, and handwork.

Which piece(s) would you never sell?
      I am not sentimental about my work.

What (or whose) other artworks do you display in our home?
      I collect pottery, literature, photographs, and some woodworks from the early 20th            century. 

How do you make time for your art?
      Woodworking is a complicated process that requires time and concentration.  That time    has to be made.

What obstacles do you overcome to create?
      Sticking with a project until it is finished can be difficult.

Are your ever bored?  How do you break out of a slump?
      I have a nice collection of books on the American Arts and Crafts Movement.  I find         inspiration from the past and modify what I like to suit myself.

Whose work inspires you?
        Charles and Henry Greene were brothers who lived in Southern California in the early      20th century.  They were architect/designers with a high regard for craftsmanship and           detail.  A majority of their works survive in splendid condition today. Their work included             small and very large homes, furniture, lighting, pottery, metalwork, glasswork and           landscape management.
     
  What other mediums interest you?
      I am learning metal working and gunsmithing.

Where are you "going" with your art?
      I have been working on pressing copper and framing the piece with nice frames.

What kind of class/workshop would you most like to attend?
      I would like to study hammered metalwork, especially copper.

How does your artistic attitude affect your day job?
      My day job is making things with wood and metal. The attitude is consistent with nice        results.

How does small-town life help/hinder your work?
      My life is in my shop. That would not be possible except with my rural, out of the city        lifestyle.

Which family members are artistically inclined?
      My wife makes art glass pieces to enhance some of my projects. 

Describe your ideal workspace.
      Everyone I know wants a bigger shop and better tools.

What are your thoughts on the co-op experience?  Is this new for you?
      My previous selling experiences have been by internet and as a symposium vendor.         The co-op is new to me.  The co-op is a stable outlet for artwork and bringing local           artists together is a good thing.  
             

Don't forget to check out Don and all of the other artists from the Gallery in Williams at: www.thegalleryinwilliams.com You can also get all of the latest news and events happening at the gallery by visiting us on FaceBook and while you're there don't forget to LIKE us. You can also post comments tell us what you would like to see. 

As always Thank you for reading

Tom Williams
Interviews done by Paula Nord 

Thank you Paula



No comments:

Post a Comment